Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Pope Benedict XVI's Final General Audience


From The Catholic Herald
Pope Benedict XVI has given an extraordinarily emotional and personal final address as pope to 200,000 pilgrims in St Peter’s Square.
Speaking off the cuff, he told the cheering crowd: “I’m moved. When I see you, I see the Church is alive.”
He said that when he was elected in 2005, his heart asked: “Lord, why do you ask me this? What do you ask of me?” Being pope, he said, means “not having any privacy”, belonging “always and totally to all, to the whole Church”.
But he said throughout his pontificate he perceived the presence of God “every day”. “The Lord has guided me,” he said. “I always knew the Lord was with us and that the Church was not mine, but his, and he would not let it sink.”
Read the full text at Vatican Radio

No comments: