Friday, January 08, 2010

The Joys of Living in the South

With nary a snowflake on the ground, I received a call last night from school administration that we have a two-hour delay because of expectations of snow. I suppose this was a prudent thing to do since we don't have a lot of equipment to clear the snow. And we are famous for not driving well in snow (though the same is true in rainy weather).

There was no snow last night. So here I sit at home early on a Friday morning when usually by this time, I'm busy at school getting ready for a long day teaching.

But it is cold. Ah, I love it when winter is winter. There's nothing more disconcerting than having cherry trees blooming in January as we've had in recent years. Plant and seed catalogues should be arriving shortly. Then we can truly dream dreams of springtime and not fear for a killing frost because shrubs have budded prematurely.

One of my favorite sights in winter....the camellias blooming profusely.

No comments: