Saturday, October 24, 2009

Anglicans responding

Very interesting observations at Sub Tuum about the reactions at the Forward in Faith National Assembly. I've not had a chance to listen to any of the talks. Br. Stephen, O Cist, commented:
1. Anglicans like being Anglicans. The vast majority of those who have serious doubts about the validity of Anglicanism left long ago and much of the remaining low hanging fruit has already been harvested by the Benedictine Reform.

2. Social conservatism and a chasuble do not necessarily imply deep doctrinal agreement with Rome.
Read the rest at Sub Tuum

So very true! When we made the decision to convert, we invited other disaffected fellow Anglicans to investigate the Catholic Church with us. The response was, "I'm already Catholic. I'm Anglo-Catholic." Then they'd launch into the "branch theory".

A couple of people went to a few sessions of adult catechism with us, but in the end decided that they would miss being Anglicans and so we parted ways. I completely understood the reticence as the town where I live is a liturgical wasteland. They couldn't swallow the Haugen/Haas mess when the Episcopal Church a few blocks down had polyphony and Gregorian chant every Sunday. They would accompany us on our monthly pilgrimage to the only indult parish at the time...an oasis for pilgrims in the desert. They would sigh and say, "Now, if we had a parish like this closer to us, I'd be Roman Catholic in a heartbeat."

After our Reception into the Church, I'd get a phone call from one of my friends complaining about this-and-that-and-another-outrage. I asked one of them once, "Look, here you are complaining that no one is in authority and that nothing substantive is happening. Yet you are adamant that you won't submit to the Pope and the Magisterium. Don't you see that there's inconsistency here?" On the subject of Scriptural authority, the complaint was, "Why are they changing interpretation of Scripture?" Again, I asked, well, who should be the final arbiter? Scripture itself, was the answer. Sigh!

No, I'm not universalizing my own particular experience. I realize that there are Traditional Anglicans who genuinely want to convert and so this apostolic constitution is not just a lifeboat, but a "galleon" as one commentor stated. My prayers are with those considering this proposition. May the Holy Spirit enlighten their minds and hearts and guide them to all Truth. Christian Unity is a precious gift in this world's gathering darkness.

3 comments:

Sally Thomas said...

Excellent post! As a convert from Anglicanism (and also a music lover -- I so appreciate your music posts!), I know exactly what you're talking about.

I'm adding your post to the list of links in an ever-growing post of my own on the same subject.

Dan Hunter said...

To anyone I meet that attempts to claim that Anglicanism has direct Apostolic Succession, I always refer them to Pope Leo XIII encyclical, "Apostolicae Curae", and specifically paragraph 36 from same document that reads:
"Wherefore, strictly adhering, in this matter, to the decrees of the pontiffs, our predecessors, and confirming them most fully, and, as it were, renewing them by our authority, of our own initiative and certain knowledge, we pronounce and declare that ordinations carried out according to the Anglican rite have been, and are, absolutely null and utterly void."

Mark in Spokane said...

Fantastic post here -- your insights on the situation are much appreciated. There isn't much I can add to what you say -- so I'll just say thanks!