Friday, August 07, 2009

Dilemma

...It's tax-free weekend....should I brave the hordes in the stores this weekend to get pencils, filler paper, erasers, colored pencils, and shoes? Is it worth it? Hmmmmm. I should have gotten up earlier and gone at 3 AM.

My Lenovo Thinkpad got fried by the power adapter on the fritz. I was too busy to notice that the little black box was turning evil. Sigh. I really liked my Lenovo. This weekend, I could get a new one at a local Best Buy...Toshibas, HP, a wide array of choices. I wonder though, if it's worth having portability of computing power. It was great to have while traveling overseas to download pictures and connect to the internet.

But here at home, there's a desktop in every room. Do I really need another glowing electricity-sucking, time-waster of a gadget?

I've been pondering this for awhile now, wondering if I should upgrade my cellphone, get the latest iPod, whatever-else-gadget. My thought is that all these things really make me more of a slave to technology. More and more, I'm finding that spending time in the garden and having lots of hours of Adoration (our Adoration chapel is thinly manned this summer so I'm subbing for people) have shown me my own all-too-real dependence on being wired. I'm not the better for all these gadgets. Really, seriously. A good book, like The Bible, say, or Summa or the Early Church Fathers, OH! and let's not forget the Sacrament of Penance that are much more efficacious in connecting me with the thing most needful. And it's not the latest news or gadget. It's a Person.

When was the last time you were in Adoration? Or in the Confessional? Or at Mass?

No comments: