Sunday, February 22, 2009

Goodbye to Alleluia


Today, in the Ordinary Form of the Mass, we said goodbye to Alleluia. In the Old Calendar, we have been without the Alleluia or the Gloria since Septuagesima, three Sundays ago.

At the end of the principal Mass, we buried in the church courtyard a little straw man with the word "Alleluia" on his chest. We'll resurrect him at Easter Vigil.

The liturgy was full of Alleluias. The worship bulletin had a short paragraph on the reasons for saying farewell to Alleluia. A lot of people came up to me afterwards and most said, "I never knew that!"

Here's what we sang:

Processional hymn: Ye Watchers and Ye Holy Ones
Introit: from the Anglican Gradual
Kyrie: chanted
Gloria: Proulx
Psalm: from Chabanel Psalms
Offertory hymn: Alleluia, Sing to Jesus
Communion hymns: Adoro te devote; Draw Us in the Spirit's Tether
Post-communion: Triple-fold Alleluia set to a Psalm tone
Recessional hymn: Alleluia, Song of Gladness

During Lent, the organ will be very spare, no prelude or postlude. We'll return to chanting the Ordinary. The plan is to re-introduce the Communion Antiphon during Lent.

8 comments:

Brian Michael Page said...

This, as per usual, is excellent.
BMP

Argent said...

Thanks, Bri. Years of reading Christus Vincit helped prepare me, you know.

Adrienne said...

Not at our "ex" parish church. The "music" will be blaring away as though it is Easter morning....

Jean de B. said...

It's clever how the bishops have turned the Pope's Motu Proprio concerning the Latin Mass against us. By identifying a parish where the Latin Mass can be said, they have complied with the Pope's requirement and at the same time isolated all of the traditionalists. Now traditionalists are more irrelevant than ever. It would have been better for the Church if they had been forced to stay and fight. Sorry if I rained on your parade, but some of us don't have an alternative.

Argent said...

Jean, I'm not sure I get your point about raining on my parade.

My diocesan bishop has been one of the most supportive of Summorum Pontificum. I realize that he is a rarity and I know how blessed we are here. Still there's work to do. Even if he has supported SumPont, there are parishes here with priests who claim that there's no one in their parishes who want the Old Mass.

I don't agree with you that traditionalists are more irrelevant than ever and that we've been marginalized. My children's generation is growing up with the traditional Mass. So our numbers aren't in the hundreds or thousands. I just think of Jesus' illustration of the mustard seed.

Jean de B. said...

I just mean I don't like being a wet blanket. As my wife jokingly says, any faithful trads who have had to go to our parish will get a free pass through Purgatory. I envy you.

Argent said...

I know what that's like to live through a parish that has a very Protty liturgical praxis. It's purgatory on earth. I remember praying a lot of Anima Christis and at the end of Mass trying not to be the first out the door. It was this new job as music director in another parish that saved us from the endless "aren't we great" kind of liturgy. I do pray for all my friends who are suffering and have no alternative. I pray that you all are given consolation through it and that somehow the Holy Ghost may sweep through and soften the hearts of the faithful. At my parish, it's one person at a time. Though we have the EF, it's still hard work trying to make the OF Mass more reverent. There's such a fine balance between being bold and getting walked all over. The funeral Masses are where the fight gets really intense. That's another topic altogether. My prayers are with you, Jean. And BTW, St. Jean de Boeuf is one of my saint heroes. I tell his story to the RCIA people as an example of suffering.

Brian Michael Page said...

Years of reading Christus Vincit helped prepare me, you know.

LOL!
BMP