Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Dancing around

~La Pelosi has released a statement (via Fr. Z):
"It is with great joy that my husband, Paul, and I met with his Holiness, Pope Benedict XVI today.

"In our conversation, I had the opportunity to praise the Church’s leadership in fighting poverty, hunger, and global warming, as well as the Holy Father’s dedication to religious freedom and his upcoming trip and message to Israel.

"I was proud to show his Holiness a photograph of my family’s Papal visit in the 1950s, as well as a recent picture of our children and grandchildren."
Something to think about from The Anchoress
If anyone was expecting any sort of insta-conversion on Pelosi’s part, that was a foolish wish. Tough and proud, there was no way the Speaker was ever going to walk out and proclaim her views “changed” on anything. But to me, it is telling that Pelosi did not even acknowledge the pope’s remarks on the sanctity of life - it suggests that his words hit their mark, and that the loving wound of instruction is too tender for her to touch.

The things that singe our consciences are the things we try to dance around, or ignore outright.

No comments: