Monday, November 10, 2008

Locus Iste

Yesterday, I had no time to post anything. It was the Feast of the Dedication of the Archbasilica of Our Savior, in the new calendar, Dedication of the Basilica of St. John Lateran.

The Gradual from the usus antiquior was this:
Locus iste a Deo factus est, inæstimabile sacramentum, irreprehensibilis est. Deus, cui adstat Angelorum chorus, exaudi preces servorum tuorum. Alleluia, alleluia. Adorabo ad templum sanctum tuum: et confitebor nomini tuo. Alleluia.

(I'm prejudiced, but I've not found an English translation that matches the Latin) This place was made by God, a pricelss mystery, it is without reproof. O God, before whom stands the choir of angels, give ear to the prayers of Thy servants. Alleluia, alleluia. I will worship towards Thy holy temple: and I will give glory to Thy name. Alleluia.
Here is the sublime setting by Anton Bruckner. I have fond memories of singing this for a church consecration.

No comments: