Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Adoration

I had not thought that having a permanent Adoration Chapel in our own parish would be any different from our weekly Adoration. But when I settled in for my holy hour and looked at the monstrance, I realized that I could visit Our Lord throughout the week whenever I needed or wanted to. My heart felt like it would burst with joy unspeakable.

The past week was especially difficult with funerals and attacks which came from the enemy. There was a peace that overcame me in that hour and all the words which were waiting to flow out in supplication were stilled.

The thought that came to mind was this:
One thing have I asked of the Lord, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to inquire in his temple...Thou hast said, "Seek ye my face." My heart says to thee, "Thy face, Lord, do I seek." Hide not thy face from me.~Psalm 27
And there was Our Lord. I felt an immense warmth surround me. And I wept. It's hard to put into words what it is like to be in a permanent place to adore Jesus exposed in the Blessed Sacrament.

The words of O Sacrum Convivium come to mind:
O sacrum convivium! in quo Christus sumitur: recolitur memoria passionis ejus: mens impletur gratia: et futurae gloriae nobis pignus datur. Alleluia.

O sacred banquet! in which Christ is received, the memory of his Passion is renewed, the mind is filled with grace, and a pledge of future glory to us is given. Alleluia.
Christ's humility in giving himself as our Sacred Food continues in that place called the Adoration Chapel. I was on my face literally because what other thing could I give in return. It felt right to be prostrate in front of the Blessed Sacrament, no feelings of self-consciousness. I understood how little I am and I was consumed with utter love.

4 comments:

Owen said...

Interesting . . . just before reading your post I was reading this one at terry's

Argent said...

That monstrance sure gets around. ;)

In a former parish, there was one hour of adoration grudgingly given at the most inconvenient hour of 6 PM on Mondays.

At our new parish, the Adoration Chapel is a huge step of faith for us. There were expenses to renovate the space. We've hired a security guard for the night hours. And yet, somehow I think that God in his abundance will take care of the details. He has given us life what more is there than to spend that time with him.

A day in your courts is better than a thousand elsewhere.

Lots of little weird things happened on the first week of our Adoration Chapel, so in a way, it's a complement from the enemy. We must be doing something right.

frival said...

I have to agree with you, Argent. Aside from the Mass it is during Adoration that I've had the most amazing experiences. And often, yes, found myself wishing I could be face-down in wonder and adoration.

So I gaze on you in the sanctuary to see your strength and your glory.

Cathy_of_Alex said...

Argent: I wanted to comment here like I did on your Facebook post. This is a seriously great post.