Wednesday, July 02, 2008

How to get a stupid song out of your head

Late Monday night, or was it early Tuesday morn, I was reading through the Propers for this Sunday. The Communion Verse is this:
Gustáte et vidéte quóniam suávis est Dóminus: beátus vir qui sperat in eo.

Taste and see that the Lord is sweet: blessed is the man that hopeth in Him.
I chuckled that this would have triggered the default "Taste and See" by Moore, in my former parish. But then, I found myself trying to fit the Latin text to the setting and soon, the ditty was stuck in my head.

By the morning, the song was in an endless loop in my head. So a Facebook friend wrote on my wall the words to "It's a Small World". It only took several months for that song to be displaced after our NYC visit to FAO Schwarz. Thanks, John. I'll raise the stakes with:
Soon and very soon, we are going to see the King...soon and very soon....

2 comments:

Heide Seward said...

I know exactly what you mean. I'll see you, "Soon and Very Soon," and raise you, "Shine, Jesus, Shine." I had that one rolling around in my head not too long ago. I think it took a good dose of chant to get it out. :-)

Argent said...

Dear Heide,

This game could go on for days. LOL!

Let's all chant Adoro te devote...all the verses...and especially the verse:

Visus, tactus, gustus in te fallitur, sed auditu solo tuto creditur: credo quidquid dixit Dei Fiolius: nil hoc verbo Veritatatis verius.

Visus, tactus and gustus ought to counteract the Taste and See business. And saying "quidquid" over and over should put a stop to any silly ditty.

Have a great holiday!