Thursday, June 12, 2008

What's in a name?

...would a rose by any other name still smell sweet?

Ebeth and I met for coffee with another friend this morning. Our friend brought her son's graduation program and we pored over the names of the young people being launched out into the world.

We were perplexed and admired the intrepid person assigned to read the names over the public address system. How does one pronounce the name Andreeauyna? And what possessed the parent of one Mar'Quise to use the apostrophe in an illogical way? My heart went out to one named Roray-Razor.

Five years ago, I was invited by a friend to play the piano for her kindergarten class graduation. She begged me beforehand to please keep a straight face and to refrain from my usual commenting under my breath (ooh, curb my curmudgeon ways, I asked? Please, she said). Her husband came and sat in the audience across from me to ensure that I behaved. At the end, he remarked at how my eyebrows almost disappeared into my hairline after a quarter of the class was named and told me how entertaining it was to watch me struggle with my promise to his wife. They're good friends of mine and we refer to that incident once in awhile.

Back to exotic names...I wonder how a poor Shrieka must go through the world explaining her name. And then there's De-nossis whose name sounds like an ancient heresy. Poor Sophomore following in the footsteps of Senior and Junior. Too bad he didn't have Freshman to come after.

Alternately, there are those popular names like Brie and Tiffany and Madison. Someday, nursing homes will be full of people with these names and their caregivers will wonder, what were their parents thinking? What possessed a whole generation of parents to burden their children with these names?

Pity the poor teachers who upon receiving her roster must wade through the forest of Caycee or Kayce or KayCee or K'Cee. Kailee or Cailie or Kayley.

What silly people we parents are.

1 comment:

Edmund C. said...

We always used to joke in the pediatrics clinic that girls named Precious weren't, and those named Miracle (usually Milagro) always had more problems than most.