Monday, June 09, 2008

Traditional Anglicans await ruling from Holy See

~from Virtue Online. Go there and read the comments. Nothing new, though...same old objections.
AN ANNOUNCEMENT on the Vatican 's relationship with the Traditional Anglican Communion (TAC) may be made following the July 16-Aug 3 Lambeth Conference, sources in Rome tell The Church of England Newspaper.

Leaders of TAC, home to over 400,000 Anglo-Catholics who have left the Episcopal and Anglican churches over the past thirty years, have been in talks with the Vatican over creating an Anglican-rite enclave under the authority of the Bishop of Rome.

While the curia under Pope John Paul II had opposed attempts to bring Anglicans en masse into the Roman Catholic fold, under Benedict XVI the Vatican appears to have adopted a different line. Anglicans wishing to be received into the Catholic Church are welcome to do so, as individuals, rather than as part of a larger ecclesial body. The talks between TAC and Vatican , however, have focused on allowing whole groups to enter the Catholic Church while maintaining their own orders and liturgy.

The National Catholic Register reported that "discussions at the Vatican on devising a possible structure for [TAC] to come into communion with Rome are understood to be nearing completion." It added that during their May 5 meeting, Archbishop Rowan Williams asked Benedict that "any potential announcement be delayed until after the Lambeth Conference."

However, a spokesman for Dr Williams told CEN the report was untrue. The TAC issue "didn't come up with the Pope," a press spokesman for the Archbishop said.

The Rt Rev David Moyer, former president of Forward in Faith USA and a Bishop in TAC, also declined to comment on the negotiations with Rome , stating only that "We in the TAC are on our knees for something positive to happen.We remain very hopeful."

The Bishop of Fort Worth, the Rt Rev Jack Iker -- who is currently in Rome on study leave -- told The Church of England Newspaper "conversations with TAC - and others-have taken place at high levels in the Vatican and that it is thought that the Pope is sympathetic to the dilemma of traditionalists in the Anglican way."
I don't see how a "uniate" Anglican church can be created in light of Trent. The Sarum Rite wasn't retained, so I don't know what reasoning would take place for this to occur. There's already an Anglican Use. For my own conversion, I had to realize that the positions I held were from obstinate pride and wrongheaded belief in the "branch theory" of Anglicanism. It took a decade for God to wear me down....I kept waiting for an Anglican Use church to open near me. When it was evident that this was not to happen (my former Episcopal diocese being quite liberal-- but, shhhhh, don't tell anyone and we'll just walk the happy via media--was not exactly brimming with traditional Anglicans), I finally broke down and studied the Church Fathers and realized that the only thing for me to do was to come to full communion with the Catholic Church--no conditions, just heartfelt humility and confession with the mind of the Church. Anyway, the objections raised at Virtue Online are similar to the ones that I run into in teaching RCIA. It's like walking into a room with musty, stale air. Suffocating.

P.S.
The Novus Ordo Mass was a huge stumbling block for me. The first one I attended when I first felt God's push was one that left me utterly depressed and spent. I thought it was worse than church camp. When I discovered the traditional Latin Mass, we had just left our Episcopal parish....the drive was quite long, but I wept, for the beauty, the rousing homily on the role of Mary in our salvation, and the knowledge that "here is home".

No comments: