Sunday, June 22, 2008

Today's Mass Dominus fortitudo


From today's Mass, here are a couple of Propers. The Introit and the Gradual clearly evoke the last part of the Te Deum:
Salvum fac populum tuum,Domine, et benedic hereditati tuae. Et rege eos, et extolle illos usque in aeternum...In te, Domine, speravi: non confundar in aeternum.

O Lord save thy people and bless thine heritage. Govern them and lift them up forever....In Thee have I trusted, let me never be confounded.
I used to wonder as a child why such a great hymn would end with that plea, "let me never be confounded". It was only after having lived awhile that I realized the "cloud of witnesses" praying for me in my pilgrimage to the Lord kept me ever in the strength of the Lord. Here is the Introit from which we have the name of today's Mass:
Dóminus fortitúdo plebis suæ, et protéctor salutárium Christi sui est: salvum fac pópulum tuum, et bénedic hæreditáti tuæ, et rege eos usque in sæculum. (Ps. 27: 1). Ad te, Dómine, clamábo Deus meus, ne síleas a me, nequando táceas a me, et assimilábor descendéntibus in lacum. v. Gloria Patri, et Filio, et Spiritui Sancto. Sicut erat in principio et nunc et semper et in saecula saeculorum. Amen.

+ + +

The Lord is the strength of His people, and the protector of the salvation of His anointed: save, O Lord, Thy people, and bless Thine inheritance, and rule them forever. (Ps. 27: 1) Unto thee will I cry, O Lord: O my God, be not Thou silent to me, lest if Thou be silent to me, I become like them that go down into the pit. v. Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Ghost, as it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And the Gradual:
Convértere, Dómine, aliquanttuum, et deprecáre super servos tuos. V. Dómine, refúgium factus es nobis, a generatióne et progénie. Allelúia, allelúia. V. (Ps. 30: 2, 3) In Te, Dómine, sperávi, non confúndar in ætérnum: in justítia tua líbera me et erípe me: inclína ad me aurem tuam: accélera, ut eripías me. Allelúia.

+ + +

Return, O Lord, a little: and be entreated in favor of Thy servants. V. Lord, Thou hast been our refuge from generation to generation. Alleluia, alleluia. V. (Ps. 30: 2,3) In Thee, O Lord, I have hoped, let me never be confounded: deliver me in Thy justice, and release me: bow down Thine ear to me, make haste to deliver me. Alleluia.

No comments: