Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Illumina faciem tuam

~Listen to Carlo Gesualdo's setting of Illumina faciem tuam

Illumina faciem tuam super servum tuum, et salvum me fac in tua misericordia. Domine, non confundar, quoniam invocavi te. [Ps 30:16-18]

+ + +

Let Thy face shine upon Thy servant. Save me in Thy mercy. Let me not be put to shame, O Lord, for I have called upon Thee. [Ps 30:16-18]


Gesualdo
was not a nice man, to say the least.

+ + +

Here is one of my favorites: Guillaume Dufay's setting of the same text

7 comments:

Quantitative Metathesis said...

re: Dufay
Oh, you Anglophile, you! ;-)

Quantitative Metathesis said...

Nevermind regarding the previous comment...excuse me while I go extract my foot from my mouth.

*mutters to self about needing to THINK before posting*

Argent said...

Thinking is too hard in this heat. *snicker*

You're not having another cold summer there, are you?

Quantitative Metathesis said...

Well, only if you consider "highs of 60" a cold summer.... Darn northwest WA weather. It IS unseasonably cold here, and the vegetables in the garden are refusing to grow.

Argent said...

Oy! Highs of 60, good grief! Sounds like global warming has hit you hard. ;)

Quantitative Metathesis said...

Let me tell you, if Al Gore ever crosses my path, he's going to get an earful. And I might start emitting as much greenhouse gas as possible pretty soon....

Argent said...

Greenhouse gas...hey, you don't want a giant carbon footprint now, do you? You won't fit into your glass slipper.