Tuesday, June 10, 2008

How to impress your teenage sons

...go retro, go really retro....Gregorian is so chic. Continuing with our "Life post-Summorum Pontificum" series. Breakfast chatter
Son #1: Someone needs to write a Gregorian notation program.

Son #2 (nods head knowingly): Mama has one.

Son #1: She does?

Son #2: She does.
nods sagely

Son #1: Cool!
So, gentle reader, if you want to impress your teenagers, download Gregoire and write your favorite song with neumes. Become a Neumatic!*** Oh, did I mention, it's free! But do consider giving a donation. The program was written by a Benedictine monk as a gift to preserve the patrimony of the Church.

**credit for Neumatics goes to my friend, Edmund C.

3 comments:

Quantitative Metathesis said...

o_O

Ooooooooh...
Aaaaaaaaaaah...

...must...download...now...!

Quantitative Metathesis said...

Of course, I really ought to acquire a schola-in-need-of-notation first.

Anonymous said...

No, thanks. In the mid-to-late 1950s, I learned to read/sing/play instruments using the modern system of notation. When I later encountered the notation that is used in Gregorian chant, I realized why it was replaced by modern notation. The old junk is TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The new notation system is MUCH easier to understand, sing from, and play. It can also accurately "depict" things that are "non-depictable" in the old system. Even though I am extremely conservative in most areas of life, and even though I am a totally orthdox Catholic (nearing the age of 60), I feel sorry for people who still cling to the defective old system. I refuse to have anything to do with it.

What is needed is not a computer program to teach the old musical notation system, but a computer program to CONVERT old notation to new.

Thank you for letting me speak my mind.
John