Thursday, May 08, 2008

Mass-ive Heads

...Sometime in the past week, I read about Northern California's Call to Action "Closing Liturgy" (oh, we can't utter the word "Mass" because it's too old fashioned, eh?) but just didn't have time to look at the video or the pictures. Alas, I looked today, much to my detriment. Tell me, do these massive heads not remind of the Easter Island statues?



Compare if you will:



The CTA website caption reads:
Larger-than-life puppets call us to be larger than life in our work
What does being "larger than life mean"?

6 comments:

Quantitative Metathesis said...

Slight difference: the Easter Island ones are more attractive. ;-)

"Larger than Life"
If Christ is "the Life" (cf. John)
And Christ is God
And we are to be larger than Life
Then we are to be larger than Christ and, therefore, than God.

Hence the liturgical, um, creativity. If we're larger than God, what's to stop us from being irreverent of the majesty?

DimBulb said...

Hilarious! wish I'd thought of it.

Larger-than-life puppets call us to be larger than life in our work

I used to feel the same way about Barney and Big Bird; then I turned seven.

DimBulb said...

It seems to me there is a subtle difference between the Call to Faction puppets and the Easter Island statues. The latter look like they were made from stone, while the former just look stoned.

Argent said...

Q,

LOLOL with the deductive argument! Next time I represent myself in court, I'll have to call you.

Dim,

The latter look like they were made from stone, while the former just look stoned.

...heehee!

***

Well, the Easter Island statues are noble savages, the puppets are just savage.

Cody... said...

Even as far as puppeteering goes, it's still shoddy work.

fratres said...

As the one responsible for originally posting this travesty, I thought I'd not seen anything more offensive, I was wrong...

http://fratres.wordpress.com/2008/05/23/in-honor-of-the-beast/

I know its spring, this must be why were all going bloomin crazy..

Today is Corpus Christi, let us pray in reparation.

God's Blessings and prayers for you.

james mary evans