Monday, May 19, 2008

Canticle of Hezekias



~from Lauds of the Office of the Dead

I said, concerning the cutting off of my days : I must go into the gates of the Grave; * I am deprived of the residue of my years.

I said: I shall not see the Lord God in the land of the living; * I shall behold man no more among the inhabitants of the world of the dead.

For my tabernacle is departed from me, * like as it were a shepherd's tent which is swiftly torn up and taken away.

My life is cut off from me, like as though the weaver had torn his weaving from the loom, * and that when it was but beginning.

It is but as from dawn to night, * and then dost thou make an end of me.

I did reckon the moments till morning, * expecting that as a lion, so would he break all my bones.

It is but as from dawn to night, * and then dost thou make an end of me.

Like as a crane or a swallow, so did I chatter; * I did mourn as a dove.

Mine eyes fail with looking upward: * O Lord Eternal, I suffer violence, make haste to deliver me.

But now what shall I say, seeing that he hath both spoken his promises unto me, and himself hath done them? * I shall go as on a pilgrimage all my years because of the sore affliction of my soul.

O Lord, by these things men live, and wholly therein is the life of my spirit; * so wilt thou recover me and make me to live.

Behold, it was for my peace that I had such sore affliction, and thou hast loved my soul into deliverance from the Pit of Corruption, * in that thou hast cast all my sins behind thy back.

For the Grave cannot praise thee as I do this day, * Death cannot celebrate thee, they that go down into the Pit cannot hope for thy truth.

The living, he that verily liveth, only he shall praise thee as I do this day; * even as the father to the children shall make known thy faithfulness, the Lord Eternal is ready to save me.

Therefore we will sing hymns to thy psaltery, like to this hymn of mine, * all the days of our life in the house of the Lord.

Eternal rest * grant unto them, O LORD.
And let perpetual light * shine upon them.

1 comment:

JP said...

Sorry, this is a bit off topic. I am recent "revert" back to the Church and I had a few questions.

My new post at my blog has those questions. Think you can help out. I, at this time, do not have many Catholic viewers.

Thanks in advance.