Sunday, September 23, 2007

Prayer in Preparation for Holy Communion


Prayer of St Symeon the Translator

O only pure and sinless Lord, who through the ineffable compassion of Your love for mankind assumed our whole nature through the pure and virgin blood of her who conceived You in a manner surpassing nature by the coming of the Holy Spirit and the good will of the Eternal Father. O Christ Jesus, Wisdom, Peace, and Power of God, through the human nature which You took to Yourself, You suffered the life-giving and saving Passion--the Cross, the nails, the spear, and death itself. Put to death in me the soul-destroying passions of the body.

Through Your burial You spoiled the dominion of hell. Bury with good thoughts my evil schemes and scatter the spirits of wickedness. Through Your life-giving Resurrection on the third day, You raised up our first father Adam who had fallen. Raise me up who am sunk low in sin and grant me the image of repentance. Through Your glorious Ascension You made the flesh which You had assumed become divine, and placed it on the Throne at the Father's right hand. Grant me to receive a place at the right hand with those who are saved through the communion of Your holy Mysteries. Through the Descent of the Holy Spirit, the Comforter, You made Your holy disciples
to be honorable vessels. Show me also to be a recipient of His coming. You have promised to come again to judge the world in righteousness. Grant that I may go to meet You in the clouds, O my Judge and Creator, together with all Your saints, so that I may praise and glorify You for all eternity, together with Your eternal Father and Your most holy, glorious, and life-creating Spirit, now and ever and forever. Amen.

No comments: