Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Nightmare

~A friend from my old Anglican parish called me to complain about how the Lord's Prayer is now being said. Can you guess? Chris Johnson reports that the Episcopalian bishops meeting in New Orleans are singing songs along these lines.
Mothering God,
you gave me birth
in the bright morning of this world.
Creator, source of every breath,
you are my rain, my wind, my sun.

Mothering Christ, you took my form,
offering me your food of light,
grain of life, and grape of love,
your very body for my peace.

Mothering Spirit,
nurturing one,
in arms of patience hold me close,
so that in faith I root and grow
until I flower, until I know.
Chris is astonished (and I join him): "Grape of love?" "Until I flower?" Excuse me a moment.

Times like these make me glad to be in the Barque of Peter....

1 comment:

Quantitative Metathesis said...

I've turned green, and it's not from envy.