Thursday, August 02, 2007

Tongue-tied

~Fr. Stephanos, OSB, reflects on the diversity of, well, tongues.
In giving Holy Communion I see tongues in all shapes and sizes...

...Oh, and there's the big guy who likes to be in the front pew. He comes up, and before I can say, "The Body of Christ," he's already got his mouth open and his tongue stuck out. I place the host on his tongue, and then he says, "Awm-med," (instead of "Amen) because his mouth is full. Then I want to say, "Don't talk with your mouth full."

Read more
Back in my Anglican days I used to muse about writing a book about all my experiences as a chalice bearer. The deacon (you know who you are) had perverse pleasure in handing me either "the swimming pool" chalice--wide and shallow--that sloshed wine everywhere, or the Schwarzenegger chalice--heavy, ornate, capacious--so that when I had to consume the leftover wine, I ended up staggering back to my pew, encumbered by my cassock and surplice (yeah, chalice bearers had vestments). Now, as a Catholic, I'm just a normal pewsitter, so I have no memories to build about being an Extraordinary Minister of the Eucharist. There are plenty of other things that distract me as it is.

No comments: