Monday, July 16, 2007

Ordinary of the Mass, 1965

~If you want to see how the principle of organic development might have worked (had it been allowed instead of changes being imposed) with the Roman Missal, here's the 1965 Ordinary. From The Mass of Vatican II.
The Asperges Before High Mass

Antiphon: Sprinkle me, O Lord, with hyssop, and I shall be purified; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. (Ps. 50, 3) Have mercy upon me, O God, in Your goodness. V. Glory be, etc. - Sprinkle me, etc.

Antiphon: I saw water coming forth from the temple, from the right side, alleluia: and all those were saved to whom that water came, and they shall say: alleluia, alleluia. (Ps. 117, 1) Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good, for His mercy endures forever. V. Glory be, etc. - I saw, etc.

P: Show us, O Lord, Your mercy. (P.T. Alleluia.)

S: And grant us Your salvation. (P.T. Alleluia.)

P: O Lord, hear my prayer.

S: And let my cry come to You.

P: The Lord be with you.

S: And with your spirit.

P: Let us pray.

Hear us, Lord, holy Father, almighty and eternal God; and graciously send Your Holy Angel from heaven to watch over, to cherish, to protect, to abide with, and to defend all who dwell in this house. Through Christ our Lord.

S: Amen.
More

2 comments:

Mark in Spokane said...

Yes -- you are absolute right about the organic development of the liturgy and the 1965 Order of Mass. My one disappointment with the MP of Benedict XVI is that is only allowed use of the 1962 Order of Mass promulgated by Bl. John XXIII. A greater exposure to the 1965 liturgy would, I think, point the way towards the "reform of the reform" that Benedict has written about. Perhaps, in time, there will be an organic reform of the 1962 Missal that will lead us towards something substantially similiar to the 1965 Missal. So sad, though, for so much time, effort, and pain to occur just to get us back to where where were when the decrees of the Council were just being implemented!

Mark in Spokane said...

Sorry about the weird grammar in places in my post -- I was distracted when typing!