Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Just in case you're up to it

...the debate of Kirk Cameron and Ray Comfort with a couple of atheists will be on ABC tonight at 9 PM EDT.

On Saturday, Cameron and Comfort took part in the 90-minute debate before a small live audience in New York City. The debate came after the network ran a story earlier this year about hundreds of atheists videotaping themselves blaspheming the Holy Spirit. Subsequently, Comfort -- who, along with Cameron, operate the evangelical educational ministry Living Waters -- contacted ABC and offered to debate an atheist about the existence of God as part of a television special.

"I [told] them, I can prove God's existence without even mentioning faith," Comfort shares. "I've seen atheists backslide when I've done it; they took me up on it and have given me 13 minutes to prove God's existence. So I'm very excited -- I am ecstatic." Comfort calls ABC's decision a "courageous step" that, as far as he knows, has never been done before.

2 comments:

DimBulb said...

unfortunately, convincing Joe Six-Pack the atheist concerning the existence of God is very different than debating a committed, learned atheist. You can bet ABC hasn't employed the Joe Six-Pack. One only needs to think of how the secular news programs handled the debates concerning the Da Vinci Code, the Gospel of Judas, and the Tomb of Jesus. The cast of characters involved hardly constituted a level playing field.

Carmel said...

Oh that sounds quite interesting, i'll have to watch that. Thanks!