Friday, April 06, 2007

Via Crucis Meditations

~by Argent. Written in 2006.

Preparatory Prayer
Lord Jesus Christ, in perfect obedience to the Father's will, you walked the way of sorrow and pain because of Love Unbounded. Beloved Savior, forgive me my utter rebellion and help me to never forget the Passion you bore. In Your lovingkindness grant me a measure of grace that I may bear my own cross in joyful obedience. Grant me courage to look upon your sorrows that my heart may always grow in love for You. Help me to walk now this sorrowful way and make my heart ready that You may come to me.
+ + +



First Station
Jesus is condemned to die

Adoramus te, Christe, et benedicimus tibi.
Quia per sanctam crucem tuam redemisti mundum.

From the Gospel according to Matthew 27:22-23, 26
Pilate said to them, "Then what should I do with Jesus who is called the Messiah?" All of them said, "Let him be crucified!" Then he asked, "Why, what evil has he done?" But they shouted all the more, "Let him be crucified!" So he released Barabbas for them; and after flogging Jesus, he handed him over to be crucified.

Meditation
What am I to you, O King of the Universe, that you should bear my guilt? You, the Everlasting Word of the Father through whom bright worlds arose. The sweetness of Father's communion and angels' refrain You set aside for beggarly me...tattered, worn, unworthy. Now You, the Judge Eternal, stand judged, the weight of my sins You willingly bore upon Your precious shoulders. How often I turn my back upon Your Sacrifice when I embrace Self and Sufficiency and seek the dissonance of my own will and way. I, with the crowd, shake my fist and shout, "Crucify him!"

Pater noster, qui es in cælis: sanctificetur nomen tuum; adveniat regnum tuum; fiat voluntas tua, sicut in cælo, et in terra. Panem nostrum quotidianum da nobis hodie; et dimitte nobis debita nostra, sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris; et ne nos inducas in tentationem; sed libera nos a malo. Amen.

Stabat mater dolorosa, iuxta crucem lacrimosa, dum pendebat Filius.
+ + +

Second Station
Jesus takes up His Cross

Adoramus te, Christe, et benedicimus tibi.
Quia per sanctam crucem tuam redemisti mundum

From Gospel according to Matthew 27:27-31
Then the soldiers of the governor took Jesus into the governor's headquarters, and they gathered the whole cohort around him. They stripped him and put a scarlet robe on him, and after twisting some thorns into a crown, they put it on his head. They put a reed in his right hand and knelt before him and mocked him, saying ,"Hail, King of the Jews!" They spat on him, and took the reed and struck him on the head. After mocking him, they stripped him of the robe and put his own clothes on him. Then they led him away to crucify him.

Meditation
Ah, my Lord, You who are Heaven's Darling, now take on the sting of whip's cord, the prick of thorny crown, and the humiliation of mortal man's mockery. This bitter cup of suffering which was mine by right you willingly drink. Now the rhythmic descent of cruel whip lacerates the human frame with which you cloaked yourself for love of creatures. Little did we know of Father's pierced heart and angels' tears as pain wracked your sacred body. Then upon your battered shoulders the wood was laid. Yet sweet and blessed it is for Eden's wood defiled is now to be redeemed by Calvary's tree.

Pater noster, qui es in cælis: sanctificetur nomen tuum; adveniat regnum tuum; fiat voluntas tua, sicut in cælo, et in terra. Panem nostrum quotidianum da nobis hodie; et dimitte nobis debita nostra, sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris; et ne nos inducas in tentationem; sed libera nos a malo. Amen.

Cuius animam gementem, contristatam et dolentem, pertransivit gladius.

Third Station
Jesus falls for the first time

Adoramus te, Christe, et benedicimus tibi.
Quia per sanctam crucem tuam redemisti mundum

From the Book of the Prophet Isaiah 53:4-6
Surely he has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows, smitten by God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities, upon him was the chastisement that made us whole, and with his stripes we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned everyone to his own way; and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all.

Meditation
The dusty ground becomes the pillow for my suffering Lord, crushed by weight of cross and condemnation. Infinity now bounded by pain and sorrow. But gladly would the earth accept the Son of Man's weight. Alas, my sweet Lord, it was my treachery that brought you to this ignominy. How often do I forget the gravity of my sin, blithely floating through fleeting pleasures only to find emptiness. Grant that a sliver from Your Cross would pierce my hardened heart. Rend my heart that You may fill it.

Pater noster, qui es in cælis: sanctificetur nomen tuum; adveniat regnum tuum; fiat voluntas tua, sicut in cælo, et in terra. Panem nostrum quotidianum da nobis hodie; et dimitte nobis debita nostra, sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris; et ne nos inducas in tentationem; sed libera nos a malo. Amen.

O quam tristis et afflicta fuit illa benedica mater Unigeniti!

Fourth Station
Jesus meets his Mother

Adoramus te, Christe, et benedicimus tibi.
Quia per sanctam crucem tuam redemisti mundum

From the Gospel according to Luke 2:34-35, 51
Simeon blessed them and said to his mother Mary, "This child is destined for the falling and the rising of many in Israel, and to be a sign that will be opposed so that the inner thoughts of many will be revealed--and a sword will pierce your own soul too."

Meditation
O Mother full of grace, now all the treasured mysteries in your heart unfold. You, humanity's sweetest flower springing forth the Greater Lily must walk this way of death. Every fiat that fell from your lips shows us the way of obedience once marred by Eve's rebellion. Sweet are the tears that flow from your eyes for through them is my salvation. Bind me to your sorrowing heart, Mother of All Sorrows, that I may more devotion to Your Son offer. Teach me, Mother of my Savior that in my Yes to the Father lies perfect freedom.

Pater noster, qui es in cælis: sanctificetur nomen tuum; adveniat regnum tuum; fiat voluntas tua, sicut in cælo, et in terra. Panem nostrum quotidianum da nobis hodie; et dimitte nobis debita nostra, sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris; et ne nos inducas in tentationem; sed libera nos a malo. Amen.

Quæ mærebat et dolebat pia mater, cum videbat Nati pœnas incliti.
+ + +

No comments: