Saturday, April 21, 2007

St. Anselm

St. Anselm (1033-1109) was born in Aosta, Italy, and died in Canterbuy, England. St. Anselm's services to the Church are principally the following: First, as Archbishop of Canterbury he defended the rights and liberties of the Church against the encroachments of the English kings, who plundered the Church's lands, impeded the Archbishop's communications with the Holy See, and claimed the right to invest prelates with ring and crosier, symbols of the Church's spiritual jurisdiction. Secondly, as a philosopher and theologian he developed a method of reasoning which prepared the way for the great thinkers of the Middle Ages. Thirdly, he had a great devotion to Our Lady and was the first to establish the feast of the Immaculate Conception in the West.


A Prayer of St. Anselm

O Lord my God,
teach my heart this day where and how to see You,
where and how to find You.

You have made me and remade me,
and You have bestowed on me
all the good things I possess,
and still I do not know You.
I have not yet done that
for which I was made.

Teach me to seek You,
for I cannot seek You
unless You teach me,
or find You
unless You show Yourself to me.

Let me seek You in my desire,
Let me desire You in my seeking.
Let me find You by loving You,
Let me love You when I find You.

(from Chapter 1 of Proslogium)

No comments: