Saturday, April 28, 2007

How to convert Episcopalians

~According to Chris Johnson of MCJ:
Lots of Catholics wonder how best to convert Protestants. Whole web sites have been devoted to the topic. Speaking as a member of the family who found a job out of town, so to speak, I have a few ideas about the topic that seem reasonable(to me, anyway).

What people, particularly Anglicans these days, want more than anything else is a church that is serious. They want a church that actually believes things, that will not trim with the Zeitgeist and will not compromise its beliefs to gain the approval of the secular world.

I know, I know. What about this or that liberal Catholic? What about the fact that this bishop allows that pro-abortion Catholic-in-Name-Only politician to come to Mass and won't refuse him/her Communion? Let me tell you about all the liturgical crap that's going on in my parish! And don't get me started on what passes for Catholic sermons these days!

Valid points, all. But then there's the Catholic Church the rest of us see. The dignity and solemnity of the funeral of John Paul II. The Masses we see on EWTN. The theological and intellectual rigor of Benedict XVI(let's just say that Katharine Jefferts Schori should never be allowed in the same room with Benedict). And leaders like Raymond Burke.

No comments: