Friday, April 06, 2007

Fifth Station
Simon helps Jesus to carry the Cross

Adoramus te, Christe, et benedicimus tibi.
Quia per sanctam crucem tuam redemisti mundum

From the Gospel according to Matthew 27:32, 16:24
As they went out, they came upon a man of Cyrene, Simon by name, this man they compelled to carry his cross. Jesus told his disciples, "If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me."

Meditation
Three Simons. Old Simeon who foretold of your greatness accompanied by sorrow, Simon Peter who denied you and fled, and here is another Simon from Cyrene reluctant to come to your aid. You who are Everlasting Strength from Everlasting Strength by whose word whole armies of angels would come to your aid, yet, in this weakened state you welcomed a simple human's strength to intervene. How blessed is Simon to share in your hour of need. Grant me, Lord, the strength to carry my own cross, and through it help me to understand that your weakness is my strength.

Pater noster, qui es in cælis: sanctificetur nomen tuum; adveniat regnum tuum; fiat voluntas tua, sicut in cælo, et in terra. Panem nostrum quotidianum da nobis hodie; et dimitte nobis debita nostra, sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris; et ne nos inducas in tentationem; sed libera nos a malo. Amen.

Quis est homo qui non fleret, matrem Christi si videret in tanto supplicio?
+ + +

Sixth Station
Veronica wipes the face of Jesus

Adoramus te, Christe, et benedicimus tibi.
Quia per sanctam crucem tuam redemisti mundum

From the Book of Psalms 27:8-9
You have said, "Seek my face." My heart says to you, "Your face, Lord do I seek." Hide not your face from me. Turn not your servant away in anger, you who have been my help. Cast me not off, forsake me not, O God of my salvation.

Meditation
Where now is your comely face, Fairest Lord, source of Beauty and Truth? Your splendor is obscured and hidden by a veil of blood and tears. But some still see it as did Veronica. Her simple cloth offering you honored by stamping on its woof and warp your sacred image. Engrave your suffering image upon my heart that I may never leave you, O my Lord. Grant that in me your image may shine forth.

Pater noster, qui es in cælis: sanctificetur nomen tuum; adveniat regnum tuum; fiat voluntas tua, sicut in cælo, et in terra. Panem nostrum quotidianum da nobis hodie; et dimitte nobis debita nostra, sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris; et ne nos inducas in tentationem; sed libera nos a malo. Amen.

Pro peccatis suæ gentis vidit lesum in tormentis et flagellis subditum.
+ + +

Seventh Station
Jesus falls the second time

Adoramus te, Christe, et benedicimus tibi.
Quia per sanctam crucem tuam redemisti mundum

From the Book of Lamentations 3:1-2, 9, 16
I am the man who has seen affliction under the rod of his wrath, he has driven and brought me into darkness without any light. He has blocked my way with hewn stones, he has made my paths crooked. He has made my teeth grind on gravel, and made me cower in ashes.

Meditation
Earth receives the weight of weary Lord again, blood and sweat sprinkling the rocky path to Place of Skull. Did you, O Suffering Servant hear Abel's cry rise from the dust? A thousand other Abels struck down by jealousy and hate join in the clamor. But with every drop of Your blood and sweat and tears are like seeds to restore the cursed ground. Plant the seeds of your life-giving Blood in me, O my Savior, that salvation may flower in my mortal frame.

Pater noster, qui es in cælis: sanctificetur nomen tuum; adveniat regnum tuum; fiat voluntas tua, sicut in cælo, et in terra. Panem nostrum quotidianum da nobis hodie; et dimitte nobis debita nostra, sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris; et ne nos inducas in tentationem; sed libera nos a malo. Amen.

Quis non posset contristari, Christi matrem contemplari, dolentem cum Filio?
+ + +

Eighth Station
Jesus meets the women of Jerusalem who weep for him

Adoramus te, Christe, et benedicimus tibi.
Quia per sanctam crucem tuam redemisti mundum

From the Gospel according to Luke 23:28-31
Jesus turning to them said, "Daughters of Jerusalem, do not weep for me, but weep for yourselves and for your children. For behold, the days are coming when they will say, 'Blessed are the barren, and the wombs that never bore, and the breasts that never gave suck!' Then they will begin to say to the mountains, 'Fall on us', and to the hills, 'Cover us'. For if they do this when the wood is green, what will happen when it is dry?"

Meditation
Rachel weeps again, not for scores of her children, but for Israel's Greatest Son. You, Son of David, would stoop under suffocating burden of sin which You became for rebellious creatures such as I. Out of the depths of Your agony You say to the mothers of Jerusalem, "Weep not for Me but for yourselves and your children." O, my Sweet Comfort, how I do weep when surveying my sins. Grant me always to remember your sacrifice and honor you with a holy life.

Pater noster, qui es in cælis: sanctificetur nomen tuum; adveniat regnum tuum; fiat voluntas tua, sicut in cælo, et in terra. Panem nostrum quotidianum da nobis hodie; et dimitte nobis debita nostra, sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris; et ne nos inducas in tentationem; sed libera nos a malo. Amen.

Tui Nati vulnerati, tam dignati pro me pati, pœnas mecum divide.
+ + +

Ninth Station
Jesus falls for the third time

Adoramus te, Christe, et benedicimus tibi.
Quia per sanctam crucem tuam redemisti mundum

From the Book of Lamentations 3:27-32
It is good for a man that he bear the yoke in his youth. Let him sit alone in silence when he has laid it on him; let him put his mount in the dust--there may yet be hope; let him give his cheek to the smiter, and be filled with insults. For the Lord will not cast off for ever, but though he cause grief, he will have compassion, according to the abundance of his steadfast love.


Meditation
The great weight of the world's sin crushes You down to the dusty earth a third time. Dust from which Adam was formed. Dust to which I and my hapless race return. Where would our souls go but down to Hell for Eden was lost by our usurpation. But You, Perfect God and Perfect Man would not leave our souls in Hell, and would now willingly walk this torturous way for Death's death. Spring my heart from the prison of pride. By the merits of Your Suffering, win back for me paradise that I may never leave You.

Pater noster, qui es in cælis: sanctificetur nomen tuum; adveniat regnum tuum; fiat voluntas tua, sicut in cælo, et in terra. Panem nostrum quotidianum da nobis hodie; et dimitte nobis debita nostra, sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris; et ne nos inducas in tentationem; sed libera nos a malo. Amen.

Eia mater, fons amoris, me sentire vim doloris fac, ut tecum lugeam.
+ + +

No comments: