Saturday, December 16, 2006

Come, thou long expected indult

~found this header at Catholic Light and I haven't stopped humming the hymn, Come, thou long-expected Jesus all day. If you grew up Anglican, you would be very familiar with this Advent hymn along with Comfort, comfort ye my people. Anyway, back to the indult topic at hand, CWN is reporting on what CNA reported. It's all starting to sound like an echo chamber. But, unlike April, quite a few solid sources have been quoted so we can look forward to the motu proprio in the season of Epiphany, Deo volente. In my fevered imagination, I was hoping that Pope Benedict would announce the liberalization of the Old Mass during his Urbi et Orbi blessing....if not for Christmas, definitely for New Year's Day.

Imagine...His Holiness steps on to the balcony, the thousands upon thousands at the square roar in greeting. Then he says in that unmistakable voice of his, "Dear brozers and sisters, I release the Old Mass."

Sigh! I can dream can't I? If children can have visions of sugarplums dancing in their heads, I can have Tridentine dreams dancing, er, no, not dancing...processing solemnly in my head.

2 comments:

Quantitative Metathesis said...

If you grew up Lutheran, you're also familiar with both those hymns. Add to the mix "Rejoice, Rejoice, Believers" and "Wake, Awake." ;)

Now, the real question is, which melody are you used to singing "Come, thou long expected Jesus" to? I know of two:

all quarternotes:
CCFFGGAG CCDBbGCA...

in triple time:
CDCDE FECDC GFEE DCDC...

(Sorry, don't have the trusty hymnal with me here, so I can't give you the tune names.)

Argent said...

The associated tune that I learned is Stuttgart.

The 3/4 meter tune is Hyrfrydol which was the first hymn that I learned to play as beginning organ student.

Another hymn that I love is "Wachet auf". Great solemn processional hymn.